Friday, April 5, 2013

An Exercise in Futility: The Converse One Star

I have a certain group of friends, that are, how do I put this? They're hipsters. They wear cardigans and skinny jeans and talk about obscure bands I've never heard of and I love them dearly and couldn't imagine life without them.

And they all wear Chuck Taylor All-Stars.
And when I'm hanging out with them, not all the time, but certain bars or events, where the ironic fashion sense is thick in the air and the good-looking people are everywhere, I look at my feet and think: "I'd kill for a pair of Chucks right now."

Part of this is my natural chameleon-like public persona: I'm always trying to blend in. It's an insecurity that comes from growing up a white kid in a black neighborhood. The more I blended in, the less isolated I felt. It's carried over into adulthood, for better or worse. It's a big reason this blog exists.

So if there's any shoe that I'm absolutely shoe jelly over, it's Chucks. People love them, wear them everywhere in any kind of situation, and feel odd wearing shoes that aren't Chucks.

So as I'm skimming the internet for shoes (because that's what I do in my spare time), I come across an Amazon commenter who *swore* that Converse makes wide width Chuck Taylor All-Stars on request. Yeah, it was a random comment, but I had to follow through on it. I mean, come on, right?

So I emailed Converse Customer Service. Their response: Nope. BUT, they said, their "entry level" shoe, called the One Star, sells at Target and has a wider gait than normal Chucks.

It's a cheaper shoe: it retails at about 35 bucks, and looks and feels the part. No reinforced eyelets, the white stitching pops a little too much, it's only available in black and gray, and it's clear they use the same length of shoelaces for the low tops as they do for the high tops. And there's a giant star on each side of the shoe that looks like it could easily fray over long-term wear.

I can see why people who wear Chucks regularly find it difficult to wear other shoes. They feel completely different on the foot. They're heavier than regular shoes, but all the weight is in the rubber sole, providing a solid amount of cushion (but no arch support, natch). The canvas hugs your foot differently; I can tell that this shoe will really morph to my foot over time.

There's a few issues, too. The shoes are probably a 2E width; I still had to go up a size and a half to 13 to squeeze my 4E feet into them. Even with that, my feet felt much better after I had switched back to CLE's. With how big the shoes are, you can't help but compare the things to clown shoes. I can see why my shorter hipster friends like these: they look far more natural on small feet.

And then there's that star. There's one on each side of the shoe, and my first impression of the decoration is that it's...girly. Not even just "of the female gender" girly, I mean "high schooler who talks a mile a minute" girly. Yes, that's a broad, awkward comment, but that word is there, lingering in the subconscious. If you're a girl with wide feet looking for a stylish sneaker, hot dog, you've hit jackpot.

And if you're a dude, well, you've got a choice to make. For this dude, I bought them, but unfortunately, I'm returning them. Nothing against the star, but the shoe is definitely a 2E, and despite upsizing, after walking around in them for a few days, I can't quite get my 4E feet comfortable in them. The shoe is still a solid option for the 2E masses (who have a surprisingly large selection of footwear to choose from, if they're willing to look) but again, the 4E feet get the shaft.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Those (http://www.clouboutinsneakers.com) are some horrible looking shoes.
      Plus I think the issue is width, and there are no real wide shoes there.

      Delete
  2. Try being a girl who wears 11.5 4e....I'm a unicorn without shoes...I can only wear the shoes styles you can, and those sneakers don't look good with dresses. Are we related?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not being funny but my wife has the same problem...she is in a 12 & 6'2

      Delete
    2. I'm with ya! I too need some feminine 11 4e shoes ...no heels though since I'm very tall

      Delete
    3. I'm with ya! I too need some feminine 11 4e shoes ...no heels though since I'm very tall

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. If you don't like to wear high heel shoes,then Christian Louboutin Men Shoes are your first choice.Wear it,you will feel very comfortable,and also fashional with unique design.http://www.clredsolesale.com
    Christian Louboutin Casanopump Mens Flat Patent Leather Loafers Shoes Black
    Christian louboutin Black Patent Leather Black Spike Tassilo Flat
    Christian louboutin Black Suede Black Spike Tassilo Flat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you can't wear them without arch supports inside; try it and you won't feel like a duck walking. The low top leathers have a slightly broader toe - i keep the laces very loose at all eyelets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently Converse does (or did) make a wider shoe at one point, called the "Loose Fit Ox":

    http://www.zappos.com/product/review/7198116/page/1/start/20

    I have seen this listed at both Zappos and Amazon, but in both cases it says they are out of stock. You can't tell me these things weren't selling - from the reviews, people were ecstatic that these were finally made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Christian Louboutin Sneaker is a good choice for you or as gift to your friends,in the exquisite design show the unique style.The design could make your feet breathe freely and more fashional. http://www.clsneakersmall.com
    Christian Louboutin Sneakers Camouflage Yellow Spike Low
    Christian Louboutin Sneakers Dark Green Matte Red Spike
    Christian Louboutin Sneakers Grey Matte Red Spike

    ReplyDelete
  8. About 10 years ago they used to make wide Chuck's. I had a pair and they were amazing. When they finally died I found out that converse stopped making them. Total bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking.
    mens casual shoes

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love my chucks, but I have heard and read that PF Flyers have a better fit for wide feet. They're similar and would fit in with the hipster friends' cons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi sorry, this has nothing to do with your blog but I saw others post about large wide womens size shoes. Please feel free to delete my post after you've read it or shared with her if she's interested I am a 12 4E myself. I have found cute casual sneakers from Keds (up to 13 XW, on sale now for $29 and 10% off), all sorts of fun shoes from Payless which go to 13W and often has BOGO or 30% off coupons, good supportive and still feminine athletic shoes in 4E men's styles from both Nike and New Balance (Famous footwear often has BOGO and always have $5 off $50 or more), long tall sally has womens shoes up to size 17 and often has styles in regular and wide, nordstrom rack has shoes up to 14W but because they are a clearance store they don't always have the same stock everywhere...

    And my favorite but rarely known little seceret: plus size womens stores. Even if you aren't plus size, their shoes are all wide and extra wide. I am a thin girl, I just have solid sturdy feet for balance and posture. I found out about plus size stores and can honestly tell you I have bought about 30 pairs of casual and dress shoes in the six months alone. They have everything from cute flats, to heels, to booties to snow shoes and back. Most plus size stores carry up to a 13W/XW, with a few stopping at 12W/XW. They always have good sales and always have some promotion. Torrid has a BOGO 1/2 sale and an extra 50% off clearance right now. Avenue offers 20% off coupons.

    Avenue, Torrid, Catherine, Lane Bryant are just a few that all carry these sizes and sooooo many styles of them too. The boots may not fit because of the wide calf, but the booties and midboots fit me perfect. I finally have cute winter boots, sexy booties, strappy heels and some adorable ballet slippers.

    **Also, many women who think they are a size 12 or 13, are often a size smaller because the have been sizing up for width. Be sure to get fitted and keep this in mind! Shoes that aren't wide, I wear a 13 womens. Shoes that are XW and fit my feet the way they are supposed to, I wear a 12 womens. I hope this little gem helps! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. about 5ish years ago i owned a pair of chuck tayler high tops i bought on line that were 16 4E wide, and loved them, they ended up getting ruined though

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being 12 4E, I'm unable to wear shoes that are half decent looking. I'd love to wear converse, or air jordans, but no one makes them in 4E. I'd pay extra for a custom design, but I don't know who to go to. It's a curse to have wide feet, and I have empathy for all the other wide footers out there.

    ReplyDelete